Objects in the mirror are as fabulous as they appear. When you look in the mirror, what do you say about yourself? When you step outside of the shower without makeup and stand in front of the mirror, do you say about yourself? When you’re wearing sweatpants and are dressed down what do you say about yourself?
Having the perfect Barbie body is completely unrealistic. Being beautiful is not what is on the outside; it’s your uniqueness and core values that are inside of you. Beauty is more than 1/2 inch deep. We all know people who are consumed with their appearance. They’re gorgeous on the outside, but they are self-absorbed. We need to interrupt the negative messages that we have told ourselves and have internalized.Beauty is more than 1/2 inch deep.Click To Tweet
You can know how beautiful you are without even looking in a mirror. Here are some ways you can see and feel how beautiful we are.
- Be mindful of what is going on around you. What are you feeling and thinking? What are you doing? Step outside the self-absorption and be present.
- Surround yourself with people who don’t care so much about makeup, hair products, dress sizes and the latest fashion. Surround yourself with people who care more about the genuine impact that they have on people, their community and the world. When you surround yourself with people like that, you start to become like they are.
- Embrace your uniqueness. Make a list of at least three things that make you unique or make you stand out. What can you delight in instead of thinking they are defects? Do you have a sense of humor, are your quirky, do you love history or reading? Maybe you are a walking trivia book that makes you unique. What do you love about yourself?
- Look so good that you feel so good. Think of yourself as a personal canvas and you can express yourself externally the way that you express yourself internally. Look so good so you feel so good.
- Smile. Everybody loves a smile.
- Believe in something important. Mahatma Gandhi said, “If you want to change the world, start with yourself.”
- Forget yourself for a minute and start caring about someone else. Leave the self-absorption and that is beautiful.
- Focus on the good stuff. Focus on how caring you are and how honest you are.
- Honor the values that matter to you. Stand up for what you believe and that’s a beautiful thing.
Have grace for yourself. Perfection is a myth. There is no perfect person walking on the earth. You are unique and special just the way.
For years I had an eating disorder. I had a skewed image of who I was and it affected everything that I did in my life. It actually ate up years of my life that I will never get back. When I started implementing all the things mentioned here is when my life changed. I started believing in things that I was passionate about and started knowing it wasn’t what I saw in the mirror, but what I felt on the inside. So don’t forget: Objects in the mirror are as fabulous as they appear.