True Beauty Is on the Inside
How do you define true beauty? I want to talk about true beauty today – which is beauty that comes from the inside, not the outside. This originated because I have a trip to Cannes, France coming up with my company. There are a few nights on the trip that we’ll be attending black tie events, and my company offered us a stylist to help dress us for these galas.
Initially, I thought, how exciting! I would love the help, seeing as I’m usually a cowboy boots and jeans kind of woman. The more I thought about it, though, I began to stress a little and feel pressured to be outwardly as beautiful as all these other women. After a few minutes of anxiety, I realized that I could keep stressing about it, or I could just be myself!
Many times we think of beauty as all the outwardly obvious things – a flawless face, long legs, flat tummy, trim waste, and the perfect hair. That’s completely false though. Have you ever met someone who you thought was gorgeous on the outside, but ended up having an inner ugliness to their behavior and attitude? And conversely, maybe you’ve met someone who didn’t catch your eye physically, but is the most genuine and awesome person you’ve ever met.
True Beauty Traits
So, without further ado, here are my 6 character traits I came up with – mainly to calm myself about this big trip! – that I believe truly beautiful people exemplify.
1. Beautiful people have self-love and high self-esteem. They hold themselves in high regard, but HUMBLY. They love their perfectly imperfect selves – they know they’re not perfect, no one is, but they truly have a high self-esteem and carry themselves well.
2. Beautiful people keep their eyes in their own lane. They don’t compare their walk in life to anyone else’s. They don’t gossip. They don’t pretend to cheer people on. You know what I mean here – people who cheer others on outwardly, but silently they are hoping they fail because it makes them look and feel better. They run their own race; they’re not threatened by anyone else’s success. They know they have a purpose, and they keep their eyes in their own lane.
3. Beautiful people come clean and admit their mistakes when they should. There’s nothing more unattractive than someone who always thinks they’re right. Beauty is someone who will say, you’re right and I was wrong!
4. Beautiful people treat others kindly and genuinely. This goes hand-in-hand with #1 too – they also treat themselves kindly and talk to themselves kindly.
5. Beautiful people keep an open mind. They know that everything isn’t always as it seems. If someone is in a bad mood, instead of making a snap judgment, they understand that they’re probably just having a bad day, and they will hear both sides of a story first.
6. Beautiful people are courageous. I’m not talking about being able to walk on a high wire – I mean they’re courageous enough to love fully. They’re courageous enough to dream audacious dreams and pursue them. They’re courageous enough to know when they should change and refine themselves. They’re courageous enough to take a stand and stand for something they believe in.
People Are Like Oreos
These are my character traits of true beauty. Can you think of any other traits or characteristics that you see as true beauty? Comment below if you have any! I’m going to leave you with a quote – “People are like Oreos. The good stuff is in the inside.”
If you got value out of this, please pass this on to someone you know who may be struggling with beauty or self-image. Pay it forward – people have spoken these words into me over years, so I’m paying it forward by sharing them with you now.